Friday, January 21, 2011

My Dinner With Alex (2011) - Zhi Yun He




This other day when Alex and I were having dinner at BOKA, a series of I-would-call-it-some-what-serious-conversations came up. They sort of have something to do with future, life goals, and marriages in general. Apparently, like many others, he has some very different views on these subject matters than I do. It seems as if the pictures of this so call "future" look so different from each others in our brains. I couldn't understand one bit, how anyone on EARTH wouldn't want the same thing that I've been dreaming for. OR I won't even say it's a dream, because I almost think that this "future" or "life goal" that I've been seeing in my mind is something that have to and will be accomplished one day. There is NO options whatsoever. I don't want a stable life. I want something beyond stable. That's what I want.

But how Alex see it is completely different. For someone who once had everything and lost them all at once, he could sure see things more realistically and ... how I should say ... more openly about things like this.

-Living with a lot of money and not so much money is really not that different. You just don't buy expensive things and clothes anymore. And I was never into those things anyways. When I had everything to nothing, things that I loved never changed. I like being around with my friends and I love films and music. I was once desperate when I lost everything because I didn't have a job. Now I have a job, and I can still be around with my friends, I still watch movies and I still listen to music. That's all I need, and all I need to make me happy.-

Alex, Friends, and Music.

That's how he responded to my many questions.

Towards the end of the conversation, Alex mentioned about this movie - My Dinner with Andre (1981). I watched it two days ago. It was almost like at sequel of "My Dinner with Alex," except it was about a person with even crazier goal of life, and the other person giving even simpler answer. The response the later person for those Oh-So-Grand pursuit of life was so modest, so simple, but shocking enough to make me cry like Adam (a friend of us who cries for everything lately. JK!). I don't wanna spoil anything for you who has not watch this film. If you haven't watch it already. MAN YA GOTTA! This film is a miracle.

My Dinner with Andre (1981) - Louis Malle

After all these mumbo jumbo, I am not saying that I am going to give up on my OH-SO-GRAND future, but may be I would learn a new way to see the pursuit of happiness.

1 comment:

  1. "I want something beyond stable. That's what I want."
    Same thing I want in my life too. It is like a dream to me.

    ReplyDelete